Friday 5 September 2008

It's the end of the world as we know it.

Thanks to Sara for posting this link in her lastest comment. It makes an interesting read and if nothing else it allows me to cut myself some slack when I've gained a little weight. Is that a good thing though? I think it may not be. Once the crushing disappointment of a gain has had chance to abate a little, I tend to get down to the serious business of putting it right. The information held in Why Scales Lie may just tempt me to make excuses and carry on with whatever unfortunate error led to the gain in the first place.

For those who can't be arsed to read the link, it is a very interesting and measured article on how and why weight can fluctuate by up to several pounds even in the course of just one day.

However, the author states that
Exercise physiologists tell us that in order to store one pound of fat, you need to eat 3,500 calories more than your body is able to burn.
I'm going to have to question this. I really can't see that last week for example I consumed an extra 8500 calories in order to gain my 2.5lbs. I know a gain was probably justified because I was aware in the middle of the week of not eating properly according the SW plan. But that is one humungous amount of extra calories and I think I'd have noticed if I'd eaten them!

Oh my god, my brain couldn't let it lie at that. Nope. My brain had to think how many extra calories gets a person to 13st overweight. 637,000 is the answer. I definitely should have noticed eating them! Bet I didn't even enjoy them all.

Did you realise we only have 5 days left to live? Yep, apparently the world will end on September 10th 2008, when scientists will cause a black hole to consume the earth. (It's in The Sun so it has to be true, right?!) Well this begs a huge question. What will you do for your last 5 days on earth? I guess I'll be watching my diet, walking my dogs and mostly having fun with my daughter. Some of those nights will be spent working too. If I knew for a fact it was definitely my last 5 days on earth I'd eat cake, drink whatever the hell I could, have lots of sex and hold my family close. But I'm not a risk taker so I guess my final days will be like the 41 years that went before them.

If you want to watch a really cool simulation of the world ending, complete with most excellent Pink Floyd soundtrack, click here.

No comments: